Property Damage

Property Damage 

For all property damage complaints, a report form will be completed and submitted to the Public Works Department Administrative Office. 

City staff will repair turf damage within the right-of-way which was caused by city snow removal operations. Turf will be replaced as soon as season allows. 

City will not be responsible for damage to items placed in the right of way. Items include landscaping, sprinkler systems, etc.

Mailbox Damage

If a mailbox is physically contacted and damaged by a plow the owner has two options for repair or replacement. Only mailboxes which are physically contacted by the plow are eligible. 

  1. City staff will replace mailbox and support with the breakaway type in accordance with USPS recommendations. 
  2.  If the resident does not want the breakaway type of mailbox support, they may request a one-time reimbursement of $75.00. The reimbursement will only be available once per property regardless of ownership and includes any labor and costs the owner may incur. Non-conforming mailboxes and support structures will be the responsibility of the residents they serve.

Where mailboxes are placed adjacent to the street, it shall be the policy of the City that snow shall be plowed as close as practicable to the curb to allow for passage of traffic and mail delivery. It shall be the responsibility of the property owner to keep piled snow away from mailboxes so mail can be delivered. It is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure that their mailboxes are firmly attached to posts sturdy enough to withstand the snow that gets deflected from plows.

The USPS has a website regarding mailbox installation, it can be viewed at: Conforming Mailboxes and USPS Guidelines

Submit a Complaint

All complaints are to be directed to the Public Works Department Administrative Office at 507-444-4350. Complaints may also be submitted online using this form by visiting Report a Concern.

City staff will attempt to address complaints within 12 hours from receipt. For complaints which can’t be addressed within 12 hours, an attempt will be made to inform the reporter. 

Appeals of any decision regarding complaints may be filed in writing with the City’s insurance company.