The City of Owatonna has approximately 162 centerline miles of city streets and the Street Department is responsible for maintenance, repair and snow plowing of those local streets and cul-de-sacs. It is also responsible for maintaining:
- Pavement markings
- Storm sewer and ponding areas
- Street name and regulatory signs
- Traffic signals
- Tree trimming along boulevards
- How do I report a pothole?
To report a pothole on business days between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., call 507-444-4350 or Report a Concern online. When calling please be ready to provide the location by listing the street or avenue the pothole is located and the house number or cross street nearest the pothole.
- How do I report a street light issue?
If a street light in your neighborhood is out or has any other issues, please contact Owatonna Public Utilities at 507-451-2480.
- Can I rake my leaves, grass clippings, or other yard waste in the street for the City to pick-up?
The City of Owatonna does not provide leaf or yard waste pick-up service. It is a violation of City Code to rake leaves and grass clippings into the street. This debris will plug the storm system and degrade the water quality in our nearby waterways.
- Can I deposit or store a dumpster in the street?
You must apply for an Obstruction Permit, a Certificate of Insurance is required from the Garbage Hauling Company and the fee must be paid prior to the placement of the dumpster.
- Can I store landscape materials in the street?
Landscape materials cannot be stored in the roadway. The City of Owatonna does not issue permits for the storage of such materials.
- Who do I contact to request a temporary street closure?
Contact the Public Works Department at 507-444-4350. You are required to obtain an Obstruction Permit.