- The City of Owatonna lines clay sanitary sewer lines to improve the carrying capacity and reduce inflow and infiltration. Approximately 11,270 linear feet are planned for lining in 2022.
- Project Location Map
- The contractor plans to begin the lining process on September 19th.
- The City of Owatonna annually crack seals roadways in advance of sealcoating. Approximately 5.08 miles are planned for crack sealing and sealcoating in 2022.
- Project Location Map
- This project has been completed.
- Groundbreaking was held in August 2022.
- Visit the project webpage to learn more.
Sign up for project updates here.
City of Owatonna Engineering Bid Postings are available through Quest CDN.
City of Owatonna & Steele County Joint Construction Projects:
- Signal Maintenance & Upgrades: Work to overhaul 11 traffic signal systems in Owatonna is underway. As part of a joint project by Steele County and the City of Owatonna, the work will complete maintenance, repairs, and upgrades of signals within the city to improve operations and extend the life of the signal system. While the work is in progress, the intersections will be open to traffic but there will be lane closures with flaggers. Signals may be out of service for short durations or in an all-red-flash mode. Expect delays during the work. The work is expected to be completed in October.
- Bixby Road/18th Street Roundabout: The County Road 48 (Bixby Road) and 18th Street SE roundabout project planned for construction in 2022 has been delayed to 2023 due to delays caused by the railroad. The City, County and School District continue to work together to deliver this important project before the new high school opens in the fall of 2023.
- The Minnesota Local Road Research Board publishes a wide range of transportation-related educational materials, click here to view content related to roundabouts.
- 29th Avenue (East Side Corridor) The project will construct a new north-south route on the east side of the City of Owatonna from near the US 218/18th Street SE intersection to CSAH 34 (26th Street NW). Traffic currently has no direct route for traveling between the northeast part and the southeast part of Owatonna. All existing highways and streets direct traffic towards the downtown area adding unnecessary traffic in the downtown area and increasing travel times. In 1999-2000, Steele County and the City of Owatonna recorded an Official Map of a future north-south road from 26th Street to US 14, calling it the East Side Corridor. In 2005, the County recorded an Official Map of the Owatonna Beltline, consisting in part of CSAH 43 to the east. While CSAH 43 will have connections to US 14 and will provide a north-south connection for future growth, it does not provide benefits for current needs of traffic on the east side of the City, especially with the relocation of the high school near the intersection of CSAH 48 and 18th Street NW.
- More information and an interactive map for comments is available on the WSB Project website: www.eastsidecorridor.com
- Project Schedule:
2022 Environmental Study and Preliminary Design in progress
2023 Final Design & right of way acquisition
2024-2026 Construction in stages
- Main Street (Oak to Chambers): Steele County together with the City of Owatonna is conducting a feasibility study along Main Street from Oak Avenue to Chambers Avenue. A feasibility study looks at the existing conditions of a roadway and determines the best way to improve it. This study will include a thorough review of the corridor's pavement conditions; identification of opportunities of walking, biking, and rolling; and a traffic analysis of the entire study corridor.