- City Services
- Parks & Recreation
- Youth Programs
Current Programs and Registration:
View our online catalog for current Youth Sports offerings and to register. Below you will find overview of the youth activities we offer throughout the year.
View Schedules on the Youth Schedules page. Schedules can also be found in CivicRec, under your account.
The Park and Recreation Department utilizes volunteer coaches for many of the youth programs the department offers. Volunteer coaches are a key ingredient in the offering of these youth programs. This includes training in psychology and philosophy of youth sports, first aid, and teaching skill techniques for the various activities. Please call the Park and Recreation office if interested at 507-444-4321. All volunteer coaches must fill out a background check on a yearly basis.
If you've registered your child for an activity and need to cancel the registration for any reason please refer to our Refund Policy.
- Spring Programs
- Summer Programs
- Fall Programs
- Winter Programs
- Year-Round Programs
- Steele County Safety Camp
- Soccer - Learn the fundamentals and skills of soccer in a fun inclusive environment. This in-house program is for ages 5 years (by August 31) through 6th grade. (Current Grade) Practices are held once a week with games on Saturdays. Boys and girls teams. Referees will manage games. Teams receive sponsored team shirt. Players must provide shin guards, high socks to cover them and athletic shoes, cleats recommended. The Parks, Recreation and Facilities department will have limited shin guards and cleats that can be checked out for the season.
- Ages 5yrs & Kindergarten - play on a small half field with pop up nets and no goalkeepers. 4 vs 4
- 1st & 2nd grade - play on small field with goalkeepers. 7 vs 7
- 3rd & 4th grade - play on medium field with goalkeepers. 9 vs 9
- 5th & 6th grade - play on medium field, possibility of a game or two on a large field, with goalkeepers. 9 vs 9
- Boys grades 1st and 2nd. Helmets and sticks provided. Gloves and shoulder pads are not provided or required but recommended. Gloves and shoulder pads are required to be eligible to participate in the end of season tournament.
- Girls grades 1st through 4th. Helmets and goggles are provided.
- Eight entry-level skills training sessions that focus on learning and building the skills needed to play lacrosse, including, passing, catching, ground balls, defense, offense, and transition.
- T-Ball - Current 5-year-olds and Kindergarteners (1st time players). Boys and girls learn fundamentals and skill development. Players will receive a team shirt. Bats, balls, helmets. tees, and batting stance mats are provided. Mondays
- Mini Sluggers - Current kindergartners who have played t-ball and current 1st graders. First exposure to the game of baseball. Coach pitch program designed to learn the fundamentals of baseball and continued skill development. Players will receive a shirt. Bats, balls, and helmets are provided. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Baseball - in-house leagues practicing and playing and practicing at various fields within Owatonna. Leagues are aimed at learning the fundamentals of baseball in a fun and inclusive environment.
- Level 1 (2nd grade): Pitching machine league with emphasis on participation and development of fundamental baseball skills along with an introduction to pitching and situational baseball. Games are managed by the coaches. Practices and games - Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Level 2 (3rd & 4th grade): Player pitch intended to continue the development of fundamentals and the skills of baseball. Games are managed by an umpire. Practices and Games - Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- All participants receive a jersey and hat. Players provide pants and belt. Athletic shoes, cleats are recommended, no metal spikes.
- Softball - Mini and Junior Crush program is now being overseen by the Huskies Fastpitch Club. For more information, please visit Huskies Fastpitch Softball (owatonnafastpitch.com)
- Camps - Ages 3-10. Summer FUN! Owatonna Parks & Recreation is committed to encourage learning and still give kids a chance to be kids! Campers will make new friends, experience new things, learn new skills and enjoy what we hope is the best week of their summer.
- Football -
- 1st & 2nd grade: four-week skills camp. Program is led by the Owatonna Quarterback Club and the Owatonna High School football program. Players will run through stations learning the basic mechanics of football. No equipment is needed. Players will receive a shirt.
- 3rd/4th & 5th/6th grade tackle program: Participants will learn the basic skills of tackling, blocking and play formations. Teamwork, equal play and sportsmanship are the core of this program. Coaches lead practices and controlled scrimmages during the week. Games are Saturday mornings and managed by officials. Helmets and jerseys are provided for use during the season. Players must provide football pants, mouthguard and shoes, cleats recommended.
- Volleyball -
- 1st & 2nd grade: four-week skills camp. Program is led by the Owatonna Volleyball Boosters and the Owatonna High School volleyball program. Players will rotate stations learning the mechanics of volleyball with coaching from high school players. No equipment is needed. Players will receive a shirt.
- 3rd/4th & 5th/6th grade: Bump, set, and spike your way to fun with our volleyball program. With an emphasis on team spirit and sportsmanship, players have the opportunity to learn basic volleyball fundamentals such as serving, setting, bumping and more in a fun, positive, and inclusive environment. Practice once a week, led by volunteer coaches, games on Saturdays officiated by high school players. Players will receive a team shirt.
- Basketball -
- Kindergarten through 2nd grade: Program is designed as an introduction to basketball and learn the basics of the game, dribbling, passing and shooting. Emphsis on sportsmanship and fun. Program is held on Saturdays and led by coaches. No evening weekday practices. Players receive a team shirt.
- 3rd grade and 4th-6th grade: Dribble... Pass... Shoot... Score! Boys and girls have fun playing basketball while learning the fundamentals of the game. Learn basketball in a rich environment that fosters development of basketball fundamentals while also advancing skills in teamwork, discipline, friendship and sportsmanship. This league is an in-house program for novice to experienced players who wish to learn while playing in a recreational atmosphere. Players receive a team shirt.
- Swimming Lessons - Private and group lessons are taught by an American Red Cross instructor.
- Tennis - Available for ages 4 and up. Low compression balls, kid size racquets and 36 and 60 foot court sizes are used, to ensure a fun, successful experience for every child! Racquets are available for those without their own.
The Owatonna Police, Fire, and Parks and Recreation Departments, Steele County Sheriff’s and Attorney’s Offices along with Gold Cross Ambulance will host the Steele County Kid’s Safety Camp. Kids entering 4th grade in the fall learn about:
- Fishing Safety
- Boating Safety
- Camping/Hiking Safety
- Firearms Safety
- First Aid
- Bike Safety
- Electrical Safety
- And Much More!
Cost is $20 per student
Fee includes lunches, snacks, beverages, and safety items to take home. Each child will receive a camp T-shirt, certificate of completion and team picture.
Register online or in the Park and Rec office. If you register online please make sure that all of the information on your account is accurate and up to date.
Sponsors:The 2020 Steele County Safety Camp Committee is gearing up for the 25th Annual Steele County Safety Camp! This two-day camp is offered to students entering fourth grade and focuses on reducing the number of accidental injuries among children. This is a great opportunity to give back to the youth in our community. The Steele County Safety Camp Committee needs your help to make this camp successful! Sponsoring Steele County Safety Camp is a great way to advertise your business and help make this camp successful.
Please mail sponsorships/donations to:
Steele County Safety Camp
146 McKinley St E
Owatonna, MN 55060
Please email your company logo to email@example.com for advertising.